Tuesday 12 March 2013

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer

I heard nothing but the best about Cinder, and everyone's been raving about it for ages. So you understand why I've been hesistant about reading it. Also I couldn't get past the first page. "Tossing the screwdriver onto the table, Cinder gripped her heel and yanked the foot from its socket." I just couldn't relate to the heroine. But after a while curiosity got the best of me and once I got past the first chapter I was sold!

Cinder is not your typical Cinderella adaptation's story. The heroine is a teenage cyborg and a mechanic who is living with her stepmonster (pardon me, legal guardian) and two stepsisters (one is actually nice to Cinder, but she dies from some illness that is plaguing the provinces). One faithful day her path collides with a charming prince Kai, and it is not long until she has bigger issues than finding spare parts for a hover or hiding a new artificial leg from her stepmother.

I liked how perfectly complicated and complex the story was and how the pieces of the puzzle nicely fit together at the end. Even though the "shocking relevation" was neither shocking nor relevating (I figured out what was going at the very beginning) the plot progressed nicely and once I was pulled into the story I couldn't quit until I knew how it all ended. The characters were interesting and nicely developed, Cinder was a solid lead, although a bit impersonal and distant. I had a few issues with Kai, who had a character too weak for my liking. He came across as a ... weakling for the most part of the book. I also thought the romance would be developed in a more clever way, but I am curious to know how their relationship will progress (and where will it lead) in the sequel. Right now it doesn't seem Kai likes Cinder much.

All in all, it was a nice story set in an interesting world I would like to read more about. The heroine is not your ordinary Cinderella and New Beijing is not your ordinary city, and there are folk living on the Moon and they have superpowers and they're evil!


No comments:

Post a Comment