Monday 4 March 2013

Bloodlines, The Golden Lily and The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead




Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1)

The first thing I noticed was that Sydney's world is very very very different from the world Rose lived (and fought) in, which was actually a nice surprise at first. No one wants to read a spin off that's exactly like the original series. However, I still thought there would be a little more action - and there was only snoozefest for the first two thirds of the book. I kept expecting for something to happen because there were so many different things happening at St. Vladimir's Academy, but since Sydney is ice to Rose's fire, prudence to her impulsiveness and brain to Rose's brawn, we got little of that. The only bright star was Adrian (who I'm sure we are all madly in love with...). I'm so glad he got his own story, and I liked how Adrian and Sydney's relationship is progressing. That was written very nicely. However, the secondary characters (especially Jill) were mostly annoying and uninteresting. Jill is a little whiny bi...birdie whose neck I'd like to wring.
P.S.: The professor Sydney is helping is awesome. And brilliant and cunning and awesome! 
2,5 quills


The Golden Lily (Bloodlines #2)

The first instalment left me quite cold and we did not part on a good note, that is why my expectations for the sequel were not high. And this is where the surprise punch came in! The character development is something Richelle Mead is quite good at and I think Sydney grew on many of us more in this instalment (if not in the first book). She is more relaxed and open-minded, and it was nice to see how her walls separating her from others are beginning to shatter and her beliefs about vampires weakening. The main culprit for her turn to the better is af kors Adrian Ivashkov *girls all around the world sigh and swoon in unison*. One cannot not love Adrian, it is humanly impossible (as Sydney witnessed herself, haha). Moreover, one might have expected that Sydney would make Adrian a better person, but Adrian also made Sydney better.

3 quills


The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines #3)

Definitely the best book so far. I really hope it goes on like this, only getting better and more intriguing, because it's usually the other way around - the first book is awesome, the second one is okay, and from then on it just fizzles out and leaves you deeply disappointed. Ah expectations expectations. So, Sydney has finally grew some balls and is finally acting like a real ass-kicking, magic-yielding heroine. The character development is much to my liking, but I still have reservations toward Jill and Angeline. A couple of scenes got my pulse racing (I'm not spoiling anything, let's just say there's more action in this instalment. Action and action, yes!), I can't wait to see what happens next in Palm Springs, especially since the ending was so surprising and unexpecting. Sydney does not have a pleasant journey ahead of her, that's for sure! But no worries Sydney, I'll be there by your side every step (book) you take (Richelle Mead writes).

4 quills


No comments:

Post a Comment